Author Topic: Effects of prolapses  (Read 10100 times)

bladderwracked

• View Profile
Effects of prolapses
« on: October 14, 2010, 11:32:00 AM »
I read all the posts that were on the boards and was evangelised enough to stick my head above the parapet. I discovered I had a rectocele (rectal prolapse) and eventually after a few pointless hoops got to see a physio who told me I also have a cytocele (bladder prolapse). Between them, the menopause (10 months no period and counting), and the usual failure to do pelvic floor exercises enough after childbirth all those years ago, my increasing tendency to both stress and urge incontinence which I'd successfully refused to look at for several years was explained.

I am doing the exercises, but no great improvement yet, and have a general feeling of going downhill fast and nothing is going to fix it. Which is making me feel pretty miserable! The physio muttered something about a pessary which I might be able to get to counter the effects of menopause on the pelvic floor area. Does anyone know if this is the same as HRT? or if it is likely to work. I am quite clear I don't want HRT. But I would like very much to a.sleep, b. be able to bend, run, cough, dance, sneeze, go out etc without anxiety, c. feel like a human being again whose insides are likely to stay put. with a hope of being well.

Does it ever end? Is there anyone out there who has attained postmenopause and is enjoying life?

donjackw

• View Profile
Re: Effects of prolapses
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2010, 01:49:54 PM »
I love the menopause matters forums but the posts on prolapse are few so for the time being you might visit a site called www.prolapsehealth.com and get lots of helpful information.  I will start posting on this site at some point but am pretty overwhelmed by helping moderate the site I mentioned.  Perhaps you could visit there and bring back some info to this site and we could get this site moving.   Not sure if this is ok, but the most important thing is you get help and support and there is tons of it on the mentioned site. 

Lovealittle

• View Profile
Re: Effects of prolapses
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011, 12:42:19 AM »
I am wondering if you should ask for a referral to a gynaeurologist

I had rectocele repair which has made a lot of difference to my life :)

I found gynae physio helpful but you need a very sensitive practitioner whom you can get along with.

Despite all the gynae physio I still needed a TVT to eliminate the stress incontinence.

I have found Ovestin cream to be helpful as I was like sandpaper inside.